Sunday 4 April 2010

Finish the job

As the LORD had commanded Moses his servant, so Moses commanded Joshua, and so Joshua did. He left nothing undone of all that the LORD had commanded Moses. – Joshua 11v15

I remember being a child. I really do, even though that would have been WAY back in the 50s-60s. I remember when our children were young. And now we have grandchildren running around the house.

I remember one frustration (of many) my mom had with me, that we had with our children, and that they have with their children. I think we could probably go back as far as we wanted and still have the same problem. When my mom gave me a job to do I would, sometimes, do it. The problem is that rarely would I do it all the way. There would always be something I missed. My kids did it. Now, when the grandkids are around we get them to tidy up, but after they are gone there is always something they missed.

No problem. They are children and we don’t expect them to get it perfect because they are children. The problem comes when we don’t grow out of that. When, as adults, we have a hard time finishing what we start. That goes for practical and spiritual things. We can have a hard time heeding the words of the children’s song.

‘Finish the job, finish the job, get it done. Finish the job, finish the job, then have fun.’

Joshua was faithful to the end, he did all the work that God had told Moses and that Moses passed on to him. He was not only a starter, but he was also a finisher.

I can’t help but be reminded on this Easter morning of another Finisher. The one who said from the cross – ‘It is finished’ as He paid the price of my sin once and for all and rose three days later it total victory! Jesus is the one who is both the Starter and the Finisher of our faith. He is the one who calls us today not to quit part way through the race, but to see Him at the finish line.

Come on folks. On this Easter morning may we let Joshua remind us of the importance of staying at the task. One day it Will be worth it all and I can only imagine what it will be like when we see Him!

Stay at it, may we leave nothing undone for Him!

Hallelujah – He is risen!

No comments: