Wednesday 21 April 2010

I smile at my enemies


And Hannah prayed and said:" My heart rejoices in the LORD; My horn a is exalted in the LORD. I smile at my enemies, Because I rejoice in Your salvation. 1 Samuel 2v2

Hannah was a quite a woman. Her attitude when she gave her son back to the Lord is quite an example of faith and trusting Him. I love her phrase at the start of her beautiful hymn of praise, ‘I smile at my enemies.’

Sad, I know, but when I think of this I think of Hulk Hogan. He was a professional wrestler in the WWF (yes, I know it is fake, but I used to really enjoy it J ). A classic Hulk Hogan moment would be when he was just about beaten. He was down and all but out. The countdown would be almost over. There was going to be a new champion.

But suddenly he would rise from the mat. He stood up and his opponent would hit him and slap him, but Hulk would just grin. He would be hit again and he would just keep smiling. Finally he would rip off his torn shirt and quickly subdue his opponent. The victory was his.

I am not of course trying to compare Hannah to Hulk. That would just be wrong, but I do see a similar attitude at opposition. God had answered her prayer. Her despair and defeat was replaced with joy and victory. She followed though on her promise to God and gave Samuel back to him, and she could do so with joy. Those who mocked her for being barren now had nothing to say.

Smiling at our enemies…what a wonderful concept!

1 comment:

Candi said...

I always liked Hannah, but this is a great lesson from her life that I've never heard before. This is such a help for today...I will smile at my "enemies" - whether they are people or circumstances - because God is my salvation and He is using all things for my good.