Saturday 1 May 2010

According to My heart and My mind

Then I will raise up for Myself a faithful priest who shall do according to what is in My heart and in My mind. I will build him a sure house, and he shall walk before My anointed forever. – 1 Samuel 2v35

What kind of service are we to give the Lord? What should motivate us? How should our service be carried out?

Eli had really blown it. He had not done the job right. We can speculate as two the reasons. We do know that the primary reason for God rejecting him was the behaviour of his sons. Perhaps his problem was that he neglected his family in because of his service. We just don’t know, but there had to be someone to take his place.

So God would raise up a new priest. We know that Samuel was being prepared for the job. Samuel would be the man who would be the faithful priest. His faithfulness would be seen in that he would do what was in God’s heart and in His mind.

This challenges my heart. Am I the kind of faithful servant God wants me to be? Am I led by His heart and His mind, or do I dictate what I am going to do and say and how I am going to act?

We are fortunate. We don’t have to guess or speculate at God’s heart and mind. God has revealed His heart and mind to us in His word. With the indwelling Holy Spirit I can be sure of doing His heart and His mind as I walk in obedience to His word.

May we each seek to have a Samuel-like service.

No comments: