Thursday 3 June 2010

I come in the name of the Lord

Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. – 1 Samuel 17v45

There are times when serving the Lord can seem as hard and intimidating as standing up to that giant. The giants can seem so big and strong and intimidating and daunting that if we get our eyes off the Lord we can be cowed by them.

Every so often I can allow myself to focus on the giants instead of the one I am serving. There are, to be honest, plenty of giants to deal with. We do live in an apathetic, materialistic, and worldly society where making room for the things is the furthest thing from the mind of many. Even we as Christians can get caught up in that kind of attitude.

The world seems to have all the resources and all the strength. When I look at that I can become convinced that we are in a losing battle.

But that is not our focus. As the world has it strength today Goliath had his sword and spear and javelin. If David had focused on that he would have run in fear with the rest of the army. But David was different. He knew who was on his side.

‘I come in the name of the Lord of hosts!’

If I could only remember that as I face every day. If I could only remember that in those sleepless hours in the middle of the night. In fact, I would be happy if I could just remember that as I face today.

No comments: