Tuesday 15 June 2010

Saul was dead


And when his armorbearer saw that Saul was dead, he also fell on his sword, and died with him. So Saul, his three sons, his armorbearer, and all his men died together that same day. 1 Samuel 31v4-6

Saul is one of those really sad stories. He was God chosen man to be the king of Israel. His son Jonathan would have been next in line. The family was full of hope and promise.

And yet somewhere along the way it all fell apart. Saul had an angry temperament. He was rash and impulsive. He acted before he thought. He often regretted what he had done in haste. Those who study such things would call him a textbook choleric.

I understand that. I can often act impulsively and rashly instead of wisely and patiently. Then I regret my decisions and choices and have to go back and apologise or try to clean up my mess.

Eventually Saul’s nature cost him everything. He couldn’t wait for Samuel to arrive to he took over the priest’s duties and lost the kingdom. His obsession for dealing with David took over and eventually cost him his life and the lives of his family.

Saul is a picture of what happens when we walk after our flesh instead of after the Spirit.

Tragedy. This story makes me sad, but it also alerts me to the dangers of my own frailties.

No comments: