Sunday 25 July 2010

Give me wisdom

Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart to judge Your people, that I may discern between good and evil. For who is able to judge this great people of Yours?" Then God said to him: "Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern justice, behold, I have done according to your words; see, I have given you a wise and understanding heart, so that there has not been anyone like you before you, nor shall any like you arise after you. – 1 Kings 3v9; 11-12

What would you ask for if God told you ask for whatever you wanted and He would give it to you? I can think of all kinds of things off the top of my head. The problem with that kind of question is that for most of us the first thing we think about is what we can get that would make things better for us or those close to us. It is a good question to ask ourselves when we want to know whether or not we are content. The answer to that question can be an indicator of where our hearts really are.

When Solomon became king God offered him that choice. ‘Solomon, tell me what you want.’ What a moment that must have been. Put yourself in his sandals and think about what you would have done. We are not told how long he hesitated before his response. We are not told what went through his mind. But when he did respond the answer was clear.

Solomon remembered all that David his father had done. He knew that God had led David, but he acknowledged that he didn’t have a clue how to lead the nation. So what did he do? He asked God to give him a wise and an understanding heart.

A couple of things had to happen before David could do this. He had to admit that he didn’t have it all figured out. He had to acknowledge that he couldn’t do it alone. He also had to ignore all the temptation to ask for other things that might have satisfied his flesh.

God answered and gave him just that. He gave Solomon wisdom greater than any man.

We can stop there and think of what a great story that is. There is however a lesson for us today.

We too are offered a chance at wisdom. In James chapter one we see how we are to handle trials and difficulties. We can, of course, choose the fleshly response and focus on the trails. Or we can, like Solomon, ask God for wisdom to get through the trials.

At the moment I am battling thoughts of discontentment concerning some things that I think I must have. If God asked me right now what I wanted I fear that those things would be at the top of my list. Would I not do well to follow Solomon’s example and ask for wisdom instead on how to deal with the situation?

No comments: