Tuesday 13 July 2010

In whom I will trust

And he said: a "The LORD is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; The God of my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, My stronghold and my refuge; My Saviour, You save me from violence. – 2 Samuel 22v2-3

David only a few people that he could trust. Of course he brought some of that on himself.

Still, we all know how hard it is to find someone you can trust completely. People, for the most part, will always let us down one way or another. Our problem comes when we put more confidence in people, things, and circumstances than we do in the Lord.

A big chunk of 2 Samuel is dedicated to accounts of battles, fights, civil war, rebellion, deception, and betrayal. Here though David breaks into a wonderful psalm of devotion and praise. He realises that the only place he can put his absolute confidence is in the Lord.

‘The Lord is my rock, my fortress, my deliverer, the God of my strength, the One in whom I trust, my shield, the horn of my salvation, my stronghold, my refuge, my Saviour.’

It is interesting that David seems to go on and on here. Here he uses ten different terms or phrases to talk about God. He seems to be focusing his thoughts in one direction.

Sometimes when difficulties and opposition and seem insurmountable we would do well to stop and focus on the Lord and all that He is to us. Part of our problem is that we are hurt when our trust in people, jobs, bank accounts, and circumstances is betrayed. We could avoid that hurt if we would ever learn that only in the Lord is our trust well placed.

No comments: