Saturday 18 September 2010

They ministered with music

They were ministering with music before the dwelling place of the tabernacle of meeting, until Solomon had built the house of the LORD in Jerusalem, and they served in their office according to their order. – 1 Chronicles 6v32

I don't have a lot to say this morning. This little section just caught my eye. In the middle of begats it is easy for things to stick out.

While the Temple was being built Jewish worship still took place in the tabernacle of meeting. This is kind of like a local church today meeting in temporary facilities while their permanent building is being built.

While they were waiting ‘church’ still had to carry on. (No – I am not going to debate the church, Old Testament, local, or universal – just making a point.) Some of the folks there were in charge of ministering with music.

I like this picture. It reminds us of the importance of ministering in music. Music is not just something to get through to get to the message. It is not the focal point of the service. It is not a tool to stir up the emotions. It is a ministry. It was then and it still is today.

I wish I knew more about music. I do know that there are many times in our church when I am ministered to greatly through the music. Jesus and His disciples sang a hymn at the Last Supper. The church is encouraged to support each other in psalms, and hymns, and spiritual songs.

Lets be sure that we pray for those who minister in song in our churches and rejoice in such a ministry.

No comments: