Thursday 6 January 2011

My heart yearns


Whom I shall see for myself, And my eyes shall behold, and not another. How my heart yearns within me! – Job 19v27

As humans we have all kinds of things that we yearn for. We yearn for good health. We yearn for good food. When I get up in the morning I yearn for a cup of tea. I yearn to spend time with my family. I yearn for good health for myself and for my family. Sadly, when I am following my flesh, I can also yearn for sinful things.

One of the great yearnings is to be with family and friends. I love their company. I miss them when I am away. We now have two children who live a distance away from us. We have a grandson who will grow up away from us. Chances are there will be more grandchildren who are not going to be close by. While that is the reality of life, it also makes me sad. I love to be with them.

In the previous verse Job had expressed confidence in his coming Redeemer. He knew that he was going to his Redeemer one day. Now he expresses his longing to see His God.

I miss my kids who are away. I miss my grandson Kian in Germany. Beth has been gone for years, but I still yearn to see her and Ronnie. Zeke is only gone a few days and I miss and long to see him,

Now what happens when I think of that kind of yearning and apply it to see my Saviour? Do I have that same kind of ‘gut yearning’ to see Him?

I like the spirit of the great old gospel song – ‘What a day that will be, when my Jesus I shall see. When I look upon his face, the one who saved me by grace…’

Indeed, what a day that will be!

No comments: