Tuesday 4 January 2011

Oh that my words were written


"Oh, that my words were written! Oh, that they were inscribed in a book! That they were engraved on a rock With an iron pen and lead, forever! For I know that my Redeemer lives, And He shall stand at last on the earth; And after my skin is destroyed, this I know, That in my flesh I shall see God, - Job 19v23-26

I find this little phrase amazing, especially considering that they are in the very first book of the Bible ever written down. ‘Oh that my words were written! Oh that they were inscribed in a book! Oh that they were engraved on a rock with iron pen and lead forever!’

From the very start Job knew the importance of words being written down and recorded for posterity. While many cultures depended on storytelling and oral tradition Job knew that the key for remembering and knowing was that words be written down.

I am so grateful for Job’s prayer. It seems like he almost knewthat his trials and response to them are going to be a help for others.

How could Job have known more than 5,000 years ago that people in 2011 would need his words?

I don’t know the answers to all that, but I do know that I am glad Job prayed this prayer and that God answered it. I am glad that we can read his words of faith. I can’t imagine what trials and testings would be like if I could not turn to the book of Job and be edified by him.

‘Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy.’

If Job’s word had not been written down we would not have heard of his perseverance and of God’s compassion and mercy of our God in trials.

Thanks Job!

No comments: