Wednesday 26 January 2011

Shut my mouth


"Behold, I am vile; What shall I answer You? I lay my hand over my mouth. Once I have spoken, but I will not answer; Yes, twice, but I will proceed no further." Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said: - Job 40v4-6

‘Well shut my mouth’ is a little bit of stereotypical American southern slang. It is used when something happens that is so amazing that we don’t have a response. It is similar to saying I am gobsmacked!’ These are terms that refer to we use when we are shocked, astonished, or stunned.

Although this is not exactly what happened to Job, I think it gives us a sense of how he must have felt when God finished His discourse.

As I read through God’s dialogue I cannot imagine any other response. I feel the same way myself.

I am vile.

How can I answer You?

I will put my hand over my mouth.

I have said far too much.

I am not going to say anything more.

In other words ‘shut my mouth.’

I think this passage should be required reading whenever we start to think that we know better or we wonder what God is doing.

How would I answer questions like Job was asked?

One way and one way only I think – ‘Shut my mouth!’

No comments: