Sunday 30 January 2011

Therefore I repent


Therefore I abhor myself, And repent in dust and ashes." - Job 42v6

There are so many things to appreciate about Job. We are fortunate that we get to meet the man of God who lived long before bibles and churches and organisations and resources and all that we take for granted.

As we do that we learn a lot. The one thing that has struck me this time through is the truth of the old adage ‘the more things change the more they stay the same.’ Job had the same problems and same issues as we did long before we had all of the modern distractions that we can blame for our sins and faults.

Job knew that there was no sense in fighting or rebelling or excusing or blaming or rationalising. He knew that there was one person to blame for his sin – Job – numero uno.

‘As a result of what I have now seen about me and God and my circumstances and my response I am disgusted with myself and I repent.

How much better off we would be if we would just give up all the pretences and repent. There is no one else I can blame when I sin. It is not the fault of television or the internet. It is not the fault of a wicked generation. It is not the fault of some other person. When I sin it is my fault.

Therefore my only response should be the same as Job. ‘I am disgusted with myself and I repent.’

No comments: