Saturday 1 January 2011

Though he slay me


Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him. - Job 13v15

It is clear that Job was struggling here. While he served and worshipped God he was going through all kinds of troubles. His friends seemed to think that his troubles were an indication that he was somehow in sin. I am sure that he knew he was not perfect, but he did not that he was following God to the best of his ability. He just could not figure it all out.

All through his statements though, we see him returning to his basic faith in God. He drops little hints all through this that he does hold on this this basic hope. Here we see an interesting statement.

‘Even if God kills me I will continue to trust Him!’

What a clear, solid, powerful statement of faith! ‘I am going to trust God, no matter what, even if He chooses to kill me.’

I like to think that most of us have that basic faith. I often feel badly when I don’t get what is going on because I keep wondering how strong my faith really is.

But I do trust God.

How do I reconcile that?

I think we have a clue here in the rest of the verse – ‘Though he slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my ways before Him.’

It is possible to hold on to that basic faith that no matter what the end result we are going to choose to trust God and at the same time talk to him about things we don’t understand.

It may be a fine line to walk, but I think it is place where most of us end up walking.

No comments: