Monday 31 January 2011

When he prayed for his friends


And the LORD restored Job's losses when he prayed for his friends. Indeed the LORD gave Job twice as much as he had before. - Job 42v10

I can’t claim that I really understand how this works out, but I just really like this little incident at the end of the Job account. There is something there, even if I don’t ‘get it’ yet.

Here’s the story. God was dealing with more than just Job. After Job repented God turned his attention to Job’s friends, minus Elihu. He told them that they had been wrong in the their assessment of the situation. God told them to set things right they needed to go and offer a sacrifice, which they did.

Everyone was sorted. I think it is wonderful to note that God did not say that Elihu had done wrong. Elihu was a godly friend who gave Job wise counsel. Thank God for all friends, but especially when they are in tune with God and His wor enough to offer us wise godly counsel.

And then I like this - ‘The Lord restored Job’s losses when he prayed for his friends.’ I don’t know if that was just the natural conclusion of the matter or if God would not have restored Job’s losses if he had not prayed for his friends.

I think there is something we can glean no matter what. God wants us to pray for our friends. Despite their miserable attempts at comfort Job’s friends were still his friends. They may have not done it right, but they were there for him.

So Job prayed for his friends. It is kind of like this was the last piece in the puzzle. No it was all sorted. Now we can watch God work.

I wonder if we are missing some of God’s blessings when we fail to pray for our friends?

No comments: