Thursday 3 February 2011

His delight


But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. – Psalm 1v2

How do we measure our delight? How do people who watch us know what we delight in? How do we know what is the source of our delight?

The blessed man delights in the law of the Lord. How does he prove it? ‘In His law he meditates day and night.’

This is a good test of our delight, isn’t it? Can’t we measure what we treasure by what we think about all day.

Some folks are consumed by sports and spend all their time thinking about their favourite teams and stats and facts and figures. Some folks are consumed things like the weather and spend all their time studying and researching it. Some are consumed by politics and that dominates their thoughts and conversations.

The same is true when it comes to the blessed man. He is consumed by his delight, and his delight is the law of the Lord. He meditates day and night. The root of this word is ‘to murmur.’ When I think about someone who is obsessed by something I can almost see him sitting them mumbling about the thing that consumes him.

This is the mind that the blessed man had. He is so consumed by the law of the Lord that he can hardly contain it. It is what he talks about all the time. It is what defines him.

When I think of that I am challenged. I know that there are times when I am not consumed by the ‘law of the Lord.’ I often find those thoughts crowded out by the everyday stuff and that consumes my thinking. Some times I even allow silly stuff to control my thinking. Sadly, some times it is even worse than that.

God give me a heart that delights in Your word, and remind me to spend my time there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that challenge, Bro!