Wednesday 9 February 2011

Meditate within your heart

Be angry, and do not sin. Meditate within your heart on your bed, and be still. Selah – Psalm 4v4

To be honest I don't know enough about Hebrew sentence structure to know whether or not the second part of Psalm 4v4 is connected to the first part ot not. I don't think that really affects the application though.

Being, as I mentioned before, not much of a sleeper I often find myself awake in my bed. All kinds of things can happen at those times. I can lay there and think until I find something to worry about. I can let my mind wander until it goes into all kinds of wrong places. In the context of the previous sentence I can even myself dredging up real or perceived offences or injuries caused by others.

I like the principle applied here though. There is no more quiet and 'alone' time than when we are laying in our beds when no one else is up and there are no other distractions. Since then I have learned to treasure those times and use them to 'be still and meditate within my heart.' Of course, I am not perfect at this, but some of my best times with God now come in the middle of the night when I can't sleep.

This has a couple of benefits. I don't really dread those times now like I used to. I get to spend some quality tile with God when no one is going to disturb me. I also find a more practical result. Often, after 15-20 miunutes with God I find myself able to relax and go back to sleep.

I think there is a lot to this concept of quiet communication with God. I know that it has been a blessing to me.

No comments: