Thursday 24 February 2011

My goodness is nothing

O my soul, you have said to the LORD, "You are my Lord, My goodness is nothing apart from You." – Psalm 16v2

There is no one good, no not one. That really kind of summarise man’s standing before God. I think most people. If we are really honest, know that we are not good. We know that we can try to be good, but we also know that we blow it.

We are kind of like children who really need to be good. You can watch them really, really trying. They do a good job for a while, but then something happens and they are back to being a normal kids. Being good by our standards is quite a task. Even when they think they are good, they still fall short of what we want or expect.

We can be like that – we think that we do a pretty good job in being good people.

But that is good by our standards, not His. In reality we are not really capable of being good or doing good according to God’s standard because there is no good in us. Our nature is to sin and not do good. Adam and Eve proved that at the very start.

But praise God that in Christ there is no condemnation. In Christ we inherit His goodness so that our good is replaced by His.

My goodness is nothing. But praise the Lord that He is my Lord and I have His goodness through Christ.

No comments: