Friday 4 March 2011

Over the top

For by You I can run against a troop, By my God I can leap over a wall. – Psalm 18v29

What a simple yet powerful statement of faith! This great faith psalm is a real confidence builder.

Much of World War I was fought in the trenches. Both sides just dug in and lived in utterly miserable conditions waiting for a break. They would lob grenades and shoot mortars, but basically it was a very inefficient and wasteful way to fight. The only progress came in the very dangerous step of going ‘over the top’ out of the trenches and into the face of the enemy. This was often a suicide mission and it was always a terrifying experience.

Often our spiritual life is like trench warfare. We can get to the point where we just dig in an hold on, maybe lobbing a grenade or taking a pot shot, but really not getting much accomplished.

But look at this wonderful verse! By God’s strength I can run straight into battle! Because of Him I can leap over the walls! With God by my side I can go over the top and run into the battle, but instead of fear I can do it in confidence!

This verse begins a whole series of statements about God’s strength and His ability to deliver. Much of this is a battle analogy. I think it best just to post the entire passage because it so clearly describes the battle.

He teaches my hands to make war, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You have also given me the shield of Your salvation; Your right hand has held me up, Your gentleness has made me great. You enlarged my path under me, So my feet did not slip. I have pursued my enemies and overtaken them; Neither did I turn back again till they were destroyed. I have wounded them, So that they could not rise; They have fallen under my feet. For You have armed me with strength for the battle; You have subdued under me those who rose up against me. You have also given me the necks of my enemies, So that I destroyed those who hated me. They cried out, but there was none to save; Even to the LORD, but He did not answer them. Then I beat them as fine as the dust before the wind; I cast them out like dirt in the streets. You have delivered me from the strivings of the people; You have made me the head of the nations; A people I have not known shall serve me. As soon as they hear of me they obey me; The foreigners submit to me. The foreigners fade away, And come frightened from their hideouts.

We need not cower in our trenches and be afraid of the enemy. We have the power to go over the top, run to the battle, and leap over the walls of opposition! Lets get going!

No comments: