Sunday 10 April 2011

Delight yourself

Delight yourself also in the LORD, And He shall give you the desires of your heart.- Psalm 37v4

Now this sounds like a really great promise. If I delight myself in God He will give me whatever I want. Folks can take this and run with it and think that if I just live for God He I can have all my greatest wishes. It can be almost like a genie in a bottle with unlimited wishes!

Obviously, this can't be true. God is not going to give us whatever we desire. Our desires are not always right. Our desires can be harmful and destructive. We would be fools if we gave our children or grandchildren everything they asked us to give them no matter how delightful they are.

Delighting ourselves in the Lord is just what it sounds like. It means that we are striving, in all we do, to please Him. It means that we are not delighting in our flesh. It means that we are not delighting in all the world's allures. It means that all we care about is delighting in the things of God.

Now, if I am truly delighting myself in the Lord what am I going to desire? My desires are going to change. My desires no longer are about what pleases me, but what causes Him delight. In other words, if I am truly delighting in the Lord my desires are going to change. God is going to give me new desires as I learn to delight in Him and doing His will.

When I delight in the Lord He gives me the right desires of my heart. My desires change from a focus on me to a focus on Him.

If our 'delighter' is right our 'desirer' will follow.  

No comments: