Tuesday 24 May 2011

But I will remember

And I said, "This is my anguish; But I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High." I will remember the works of the LORD; Surely I will remember Your wonders of old. I will also meditate on all Your work, And talk of Your deeds. Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary; Who is so great a God as our God? - Psalm 77v10-13

Sometimes all it takes it choosing to remember the right things. The psalmist was in the middle of, as he puts it, a time of anguish. The entire psalm speaks of his pain and anguish.

But in the middle of it he made a wise choice. He decided instead of considering all his troubles that he would remember some things. Those remembrances brought him to a comforting conclusion.

'I will remember the years at Your right hand. I will remember You works, Your wonders, and Your ways.' Not only did he decide to remember these things, he also decided to meditate on them and talk about them.

I know that I can get caught up in the doom and gloom talk. The economy is in a shambles. Wickedness is rampant. Politics are a sham. I love to talk and I love to talk about politics and economics so I find myself focusing on these things. When I do that I always find myself discouraged and defeated.

But what would happen if I decided that, instead of focusing on things I could do nothing about I decided to look back and remember what God has done for me? If, instead of dwelling on the wicked I could dwell on the work He has done for me. What if I talked about the goodness of God and my faith in Him instead of all the stuff around me.

Now if I could just remember to remember. 

No comments: