Tuesday 10 May 2011

I will wait

I will wait for You, O You his Strength; For God is my defense. My God of mercy shall come to meet me; God shall let me see my desire on my enemies. - Psalm 59v9-10

And here we are back to waiting again. We just flew back from the States on Saturday and Sunday. There are a lot of things you are unsure of while flying. Will the food be good? Will the plane be full? Will the weather be good? These questions and others are what makes flying so, shall we says nicely, so exciting.

There is one thing you can always be sure of though – you are going to wait. You get to the airport and wait to check in. You get to your gate and wait. If you make a connection you go through the whole process again.

Then you have the added waits. In our recent trip three of the four flights were delayed on the tarmac after we had loaded. Those are the most frustrating delays because you are crammed in that plane and not going anywhere.

Sometimes the problem is just paperwork. Sometimes it is rude people who just don't get to the gate on time. Sometimes it is incompetence. For the purpose of this illustration we are going to leave those aside.

Sometimes we sit on the plane and wait because there is some last minute maintenance that has to be carried out. These can be very simple things, but when you are flying even the simple things can be important. I once a documentary about a flight that crashed just because a piece of tape was left over a pressure sensor. The problem is that we don't know wall this so we sit on the plane at wait, and wait, and wait.

I find that there is a lot of waiting in life. We don't always know why, but God knows. He knows when some maintenance needs to be done in our lives before we 'fly.'

Maybe we need to trust God to perform the required maintenance on us before we get in such a rush.  

No comments: