Friday 27 May 2011

Open your mouth wide

I am the LORD your God, Who brought you out of the land of Egypt; Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it. - Psalm 81v10

'Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it.'

What an amazing statement. God reminded the people of who He was and what He had done, then He simply tells them to open their mouth and receive His fullness.

When I read this my thoughts immediately go to a picture of hungry birds in a nest. They have their mouths open as far as they can go to receive from the mother (or is it father?) bird dropping a big, fat, juicy worm in one of their mouths.

I don't think my picture is too far off of what God is offering in this passage.

We are as helpless and weak as those baby birds. The only difference is that these birds are naturally inclined to trust the parent bird for their food while we think that we can do better. Instead of looking up I get busy doing my own stuff and seeking my own solutions. My solution would be like one of those baby birds grubbing about in the bottom of the nest looking for aphids while the parent has that lovely worm waiting for them.

Sometimes I wish I had the sense of those baby birds. I am tired of pecking for aphids when there is a fat juicy worm waiting for me if I would just turn my face upward. 

No comments: