Saturday 11 June 2011

Don't forget

Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, - Psalm 103v2-4

I can't say that I have had an especially busy week. It has been pretty normal in the things that had to be done, and I was not overwhelmed with work. Saying that, it has been a busy week in my head. When I get these weeks where my mind is full of thoughts and concerns and frets and ideas and worries it is easy to forget the more important things.

Maybe that is why God allows us to have wonderful reminders such as found in Psalm 103. 'Give blessing to the Lord, O my soul. Don't forget the benefits He provides. He forgives and heals, He redeems our lives from destruction. He crowns us with His livingkindness and with His tender mercies.'

When we forget this we are going to get down and discouraged. We are going to seem defeated. But if we can choose to remember the right things we can lay those things aside and keep moving on.

Sometimes I have to dig down real deep into the area of my life called 'raw faith.' Sometimes our comfort might only be that we can rest in the knowledge that no matter what else we have been redeemed from the destruction that our sin deserves. In that we can find the strength to keep on going.

Most of us are never going to receive any kind of earthly crown or recognition. We might as well get used to that truth.

However, because He has redeemed us we have His crowns of lovingkindness and tender mercy. That is all the crown I need. So when it gets busy and our minds our racing, let us be sure that we don't forget His marvellous benefits. 

1 comment:

Bitsy Snyder said...

Amen Roger! That is all the crown I need!