Tuesday 7 June 2011

A hardened heart

For He is our God, And we are the people of His pasture, And the sheep of His hand. Today, if you will hear His voice: "Do not harden your hearts, as in the rebellion, As in the day of trial in the wilderness, - Psalm 95v7-8

'Today, if you will hear God's voice, do not harden your hearts.' As Mary and I were out cycling yesterday I thought about Christian friends and others who I know of who seemingly have just hardened their hearts to the working of God in their lives. Folks can find a sin that they just seemingly can't forsake. Their affection for that sin hardens their hearts to the point that their lives get worse and worse.

It is easy to sit back and shake our heads and say 'how sad' when we see this. That suits us because it is them, not us, who are guilty.

Yet, before we get too smug, maybe we should look in the mirror. Though the extent may vary we need to ask ourselves a simple question – 'Is a hard hearted attitude ever right?'

'What do you mean, Roger?' you might ask.

I think back to times in my life when I make the wrong choose and decide to go ahead with my sin. It can be almost like the cartoon of the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. When I make my choice to allow sin to take control I have to ignore the working of God. I must harden my heart to what is right and do what is wrong.

Does that kind of hardness please God any more than the more dramatic kind?

Somehow I doubt it. 

No comments: