Friday 10 June 2011

Unchangeable

They will perish, but You will endure; Yes, they will all grow old like a garment; Like a cloak You will change them, And they will be changed. But You are the same, And Your years will have no end. - Psalm 102v26-27

There are a lot of wonderful attributes of God. I used to try and figure out which was the 'most important' but I have since come to realise that trying to do so demeans the others, and in reality all of them contribute to God being who He is.

With that disclaimer I do have times when certain attributes of God seem kind of special. One of the attributes that sticks out to personally at times is what we call His attribute of immutability – the knowledge that God never changes, even in the slightest.

As I read through my Bible I see the picture of a marvellous all powerful, all knowing, all seeing, ever present God. I see the God who said 'let their be light.' I see the God who parted the Red Sea. I see the God who delivered His people. I see the God who healed the sick and raised the dead. I see the God who sent His son, permitted Him to be crucified,and raised Him from the dead.

Sometimes I can see the power of God bound my the pages of my Bible. Then I am reminded of this marvellous truth. 'You are the same.' 'I am the Lord, I change not.' 'Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.'

Everything else is transitory. Things change. Just this morning I took friends to the airport who are moving back to America. These kind of changes just happen. Every time I go to the States things have changed. Ireland is not the country it was when we first visited twenty years ago.

Things change. God does not. He is the same God today that He was in the days of old. He is the God who did all the things mentioned above. 'Immortal, invisible, God only wise, in light inaccessible hid from our eyes, most blessed, most glorious, the Ancient of Days, almighty, victorious, thy great Name we praise. Unresting, unhasting, and silent as light, nor wanting, nor wasting, thou rulest in might; thy justice like mountains high soaring above thy clouds, which are fountains of goodness and love.'

This is still the God we serve today! Maybe my problems are not so big after all. 

No comments: