Sunday 31 July 2011

Fearfully and wonderfully

I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvellous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. - Psalm 139v14

Many years ago we listened to a Christian radio broadcast. I don't even remember now the name of the programme or the personality who did the show. Even Mr Google could not help me on this one so I guess we have to leave it at a vague memory.

The context was this passage in Psalms- 'I am fearfully and wonder made.' While we must not forget that our sin makes us vile in God's sight, we must not also forget that we are not just some cast off worthless junk.

God made us to be who were are. In all of strengths and weaknesses and power and weakness we are His work. We are not some worthless happenstance of an evolutionary process. Evolution cheapens man to the basest descent of animal behaviour. Creation elevates man to the wonderful result of God's work.

We are of such value to God that He sent His son to die for us. God don't make no junk. Jesus didn't die for no junk. We don't have to compare ourselves to anyone else. Each of us, with our flaws and weaknesses, are just the fearfully and wonderfully made person God wants us to be.  Let us rejoice in that marvellous work. 

No comments: