Monday 25 July 2011

God knows

O LORD, You have searched me and known me. You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether. – Psalm 139v1-4

I have loved this psalm in a personal way since I taught in teen Sunday School a few years ago. We had just moved to Ireland and I was serving as youth pastor in a church in Dublin. I loved that ministry with all my heart. I loved the young people and many of them are still friends today. Because of that setting this the psalm holds a special place in my heart. I don't know about those teens, but the study there has impacted my life every since.

The psalm begins with David making a personal application of a very important truth – 'You have searched me O Lord,' he writes, 'and known me.' The next few verses amplify that truth. God knows my getting up and my lying down. He knows my path. He knows my thoughts. He knows my words from the time they are formed in my heart.

In one sense that is a great truth to keep us on the straight and narrow. If God knows that much about me I had better be sure I keep my life right.

On the other hand this is a truth which gives great comfort. I don't think our Sunday School class did verse one any harm when we summarised it with 'God knows.' One of our teens did a little cross stitch for us. It has a lovely decoration and two simple words – 'God knows.' It was a beautiful gift that we treasure. We treasure it because of who it came from because it reminds us of that wonderful group of teens and because it reminds us that even though many yeas have based God still knows.

What are you facing today? What difficult situation are you dealing with? Read Psalm 139 today and remember – 'God knows.'  

No comments: