Wednesday 27 July 2011

Too wonderful

Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it. – Psalm 139v6

Some things are just too wonderful to know. Some things are beyond our human ken. There are some things we just are not going to ever really and truly ‘get.’

Our word wonderful comes down from the Old English word ‘wundor’ which meant ‘marvellous thing, marvel, the object of astonishment.’

This goes a way to describe the feelings of the psalmist that God knows everything about him. It is the only natural response to the fact that God walks before us and behind us with His hand on us on our Yellow Brick Road. Those feelings are even more fully laid out in the marvellous truths that follow.

How can God do all this for me at the same time at the same time that He is doing it for so many others?
I don’t know. I can’t figure it out. His knowledge is so much higher that my knowledge that I can’t even approach it.

So what does that mean? I think it means that instead of languishing in despair I should be basking in wonder. Instead of doubting the reality that God understand and that He is with me I need to let myself be astonished at the truth.

‘His name shall be called Wonderful.’ Let us cast our cares on Him and rejoice in the wonder of our wonderful God. 

No comments: