Saturday 6 August 2011

From one generation to another


One generation shall praise Your works to another, And shall declare Your mighty acts. - Psalm 145v4

While I am not an old man yet, I am afraid that the term 'young man' cannot possibly be applied to me any more. I have one full generation of descendants and we are well into the generation after that now.

Generations bring the greatest joys and the greatest heartaches. They do that because they are so special to us. I am not writing about generations in general, but about our own personal generations. As Christians we rejoice when our generations follow the Lord and our hearts break when they turn away.

We do our best, hopefully, to teach our generations about the Lord. We try to show them the mighty acts of God and include them in seeing His great works. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't. We are not perfect. We mess up. We don't always reflect the Lord's greatness. Our generations don't always see Jesus in us.

I when my heart breaks I wonder where I messed up. I wonder what I could have done differently. I can beat myself up when my generations don't follow the Lord.

I have to trust the fact that God's word will not return void. I have to believe that all I can do is keep trying to praise God's works to my own generations and let them see His mighty works.

We have to follow the Lord and trust Him with the results. Let me strive to show God's great works to the generations, especially to my own generations.  

No comments: