Monday 1 August 2011

How precious are Your thoughts

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they would be more in number than the sand; When I awake, I am still with You. - Psalm 139v17-18

The idea that God knows everything about us could be an intimidating one. Just think about it for a second. God knows everything – He knows every thought, every motivation, every scheme, every plan, and every emotion behind what we actually say and do.

It is kind of a scary thought when someone knows what is going on in your head. After 30+ years of marriage and husband and wife get to know each other pretty well. Spouses after that many years get to know every subtle tone of voice. You know every little bit of body language. Though it is not perfect, you get to know each other pretty well. There is very little you can 'get away with.'

Now expand that to God who knows everything. Intimidating?

And yet David didn't take it that was. David called this knowledge precious and great. The fact that the Creator would actually know his thoughts is a precious truth. It is something like that marriage illustration. It doesn't bother me that Mary knows my thoughts (well, most of the time, unless I get caught out being a jerk) because she loves me and I love her. Her knowledge of me calls me up and forces me to sort things out and that is good for me.

God precious thoughts of me are the same. His knowledge of me is good for me because it forces me to keep things straight. I can't get away with hypocrisy.

But look at the last phrase – this is truly precious. God knows all about it, and yet, when I wake up in the morning I am still with Him, How precious that He knows me and yet still sticks with me.
That is kind of precious, isn't it?  

No comments: