Wednesday 7 September 2011

A good word



Anxiety in the heart of man causes depression, But a good word makes it glad. – Proverbs 12v25

How many, many times have we all seen the blessed truth of this little proverb?

We have all been at the point where times are nervous and anxious and worrisome and fearful. Christians can be so quick to be anti-psychobabble that we forget that people really do get down and discouraged and depressed.

I really hate those dark days. Sometimes we get in those days and we find ourselves surrounded by ‘miserable comforters’ who only join in the anxiety and make things worse. We all know that anxiety is not right. We know that God wants us to trust Him. We all know that depression comes when we lose our focus (no, I am not questioning the reality of chemical depression here) or allow ourselves to dwell on our woes. But when we get there we need something. It is not enough to just say something like ‘Get over it!’

Sometimes all we need is an encouraging word. It can be as simple as ‘Hey, I know things are tough. I just want you to know that I love you, I am praying, and I am here for you.’ We can’t always solve the problem. Sometimes we can’t do anything but let someone who is hurting know we care.

Our dad left us a precious gift with his little essay called ‘Things I Must Do Today.’ Near the bottom of the page are these words – ‘When I arrive each morning, let my first word brighten everyone's day.’ Who knows who might need a little day brightening today? 

No comments: