Tuesday 11 October 2011

Rarer than rubies



Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies. The heart of her husband safely trusts her; So he will have no lack of gain…Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her: "Many daughters have done well, But you excel them all." Charm is deceitful and beauty is passing, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. - Proverbs 31v10-11, 28-30


If I could afford to like gems rubies would be my favourite. I love the deep red colour. It is my birthstone. I just love it and it I were rich and wore jewellery I would surely have a ruby ring!

But this passage says that there is something rarer and more valuable than the best rubies. ‘Who can find a virtuous wife?’ the writer asks, ‘for her worth is far above rubies. Her husband trusts her.’ There is a beautiful section proclaiming the value of a virtuous wife. Then it closes with ‘Her children rise up and call her blessed.’

Then there is a phrase that all husbands need to be reminded of – ‘her husband calls her blessed, and he praises her.’

So that’s my cue.

It’s a pretty simple question. ‘If you could only have one of the two would you rather be rich or would you rather have your wife?’

Obviously both would be nice, but you can only choose one.

If a relationship is working the way it should work I don’t think there can be a doubt. If a woman is that virtuous wife then there is no comparison.

Praise God for my virtuous wife. Though I understand what the phrase ‘beauty is passing’ is trying to say I contend that not only has her virtue endured and grown, but so has her beauty.

Trade her is for rubies? Not a chance. 

1 comment:

Patti said...

What a beautiful entry, Roger! I couldn't agree with you more! Mary is truly a wonderful lady. We are all blessed richly by her! <3