Friday 11 November 2011

Anger to comfort




And in that day you will say: "O LORD, I will praise You; Though You were angry with me, Your anger is turned away, and You comfort me. Behold, God is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid; 'For YAH, the LORD, is my strength and song; He also has become my salvation.' " Therefore with joy you will draw water From the wells of salvation. – Isaiah 12v1-3

‘I will praise You. You were angry with me, but Your anger is turned away and now you comfort me. God is my salvation, I will trust and not fear.’

This concept of anger being exchanged for comfort caught my eye this morning. Sin angers God. It is a righteous anger. The Bible speaks of this anger in 1 Kings - "When they sin against You (for there is no one who does not sin), and You become angry with them and deliver them to the enemy, and they take them captive to the land of the enemy, far or near;”

So what can turn that anger into comfort?

I have mentioned before that no illustration is perfect. However, as I think about this I think of a human illustration of this truth.

As parents we can at times get angry at our children. Sometimes the anger is justified, sometimes it is not. That is where the illustration breaks down; God’s anger at us is always just and righteous. Anyway, back to the illustration. Those angry times are unsettling. We hopefully got through the proper steps to deal with the action that angered us and our response. After is all said and done there should be a time of comfort. I think back to holding a child on my lap and giving forgiveness and comfort. Sometimes I have had to ask for forgiveness as well, but there is that marvellous feeling of love and comfort that follows the anger.

What makes this passage more amazing is that God will turn His anger into comfort even though He never has any fault. His comfort is always based on His mercy. His anger is only atoned through the blood of Christ and then His mercy brings comfort that only He can provide.

Praise God for His anger transforming mercy! 

No comments: