Sunday 20 November 2011

In God's hand


The hand of God

Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.' – Isaiah 41v10

The next couple of chapters of Isaiah are packed with promises and assurances of God’s protection for His people. They are facing scary times as they look into the unknown and God promises them that the need not be afraid because He is with.

These may be specific promises to Israel, but they tell us how God relates to and deals with His people. In Christ we are God’s children and can take comfort in God’s faithfulness for those who belong to Him.

We read here a blessed promise that we will see repeated – ‘Don’t be afraid, I am with you.’ This is followed by a few reinforcing statements, ‘Don’t be dismayed. I am your God. I will give you strength. I will help you I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.’

I am at an age now where I think about age. The years are starting to close in and I wonder what I am going to do when I get old. We don’t own any property. I have some retirement funds, but they surely are not going to be enough to totally get me through those years. I do worry about the next 20-30 years sometimes.

This reminds that life is scary is all stages. If I didn’t have these fears I would have others. This is why we can find comfort in God’s word.

I love here the last phrase – ‘I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.’ This reminds me of where Jesus promises us that once we are in the Father’s hand we can rest assured that no one will even be able to pluck us out. I have total security there. While I may face a lot of unknown in the years to come I can be assured of one thing. I will always be His child and He will carry be through whatever may come my way. 

No comments: