Monday 5 December 2011

Higher thoughts and higher ways




"For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways," says the LORD. "For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts. – Isaiah 55v8-9

Sometimes I can’t figure it out? ‘Can’t figure what out?’ you might ask. ‘IT, I can’t figure it out. Any of it. Why does stuff happen the way it does? Why can’t things just go the way I think they should? I don’t want much; I just want things to go my way! I want what I want, the way I want it, and I want it now!

Hmm, does that sound familiar parents? Have you ever heard anyone say or express those thoughts.

Of course we have. It sounds like our children (or grandchildren now in some cases). We set up boundaries and rules for the kids. There are thing that cannot do and things we don’t give them. They rarely understand it. We just them to obey us and trust, for the time being that we know best.

Hopefully we do. We know what happens when children play with fire. We know that knives cut. We know that the cooker is hot. We know that eating too many sweets is not good for you. We know that medicines can kill.

Children don’t always know that. They want to play with the pretty fire. They think those shiny colourful pills look yummy. We know that cars on the road our dangerous. Our thoughts are above their thoughts. Our ways are above theirs.

And we so we go back to my perception of what is right and just and proper. Why don’t things go my way? Why don’t things work out the way I think they should?

Because I don’t understand it all. I don’t know everything. There is Someone who does. His ways are high above my ways. His thoughts are high above my thoughts.

We ask our children to trust us in these situations. Why can’t we trust our Father to do best? 

No comments: