Thursday 15 December 2011

Motherly comfort




As one whom his mother comforts, So I will comfort you; And you shall be comforted in Jerusalem." – Isaiah 66v13

In yesterday’s thought we saw God portrayed as our Father Potter moulding and shaping and forming us into what He wants us to be. That sounds a lot like a dad, doesn’t it? Dads seem to be the ones who take on the role of smoothing the rough edges and applying the pressure to come up with a finished product.

God does not just take on that fatherly moulding role. He also, in a mysterious way, takes on the comforting role of a mother.

Imagine that. I know after parenting for almost 33 years and even as a relatively new grandparent (8 years) how this plays out. I have found that indeed I have done the majority of the ‘pottering.’ I am the one who has tended to do the part that seems tough. It is a hard, but needed role.

But the focus today is on God’s comforting role. He comforts us like a mother comforts her children.

What a precious picture this is. Through all these years the kids have always gone to Mom for comfort. I am not talking about checking out an injury of applying a pastor. I am talking about climbing up in a lap and getting a cuddle and being assured that it is okay. Our children are way beyond that stage now, but I find that they still go to mom to be reassured or comforted during hard times.

I love the fact that God can deal with us as a potter, moulding and shaping, while at the same time treating us a mother, providing that special comfort.

Sometimes I still need to crawl up to my God and get that motherly comfort. Thank God that He still gives it. 

No comments: