Friday 9 December 2011

Peace?




"I create the fruit of the lips: Peace, peace to him who is far off and to him who is near," Says the LORD, "And I will heal him." But the wicked are like the troubled sea, When it cannot rest, Whose waters cast up mire and dirt. "There is no peace," Says my God, "for the wicked." – Isaiah 57v19-21

‘Glory to God in the highest, And on earth peace, goodwill toward men!’ We all immediately recognise that refrain from the angels’ proclamation at Messiah’s birth. Before His earthly ministry ended Jesus reiterated that promise when He said ‘Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid,’ and ‘These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.’

Here is Isaiah God promises to give peace to those who are far off and to those who are near. One of the titles for Messiah given earlier in Isaiah is ‘Prince of Peace.’

It is obvious that part of God’s plan for His people is real peace. God is a God of peace. He draws His enemies to peace with Him and He gives His peace to all who will trust Him. His peace is far superior to the temporary peace that the world offers.

The warning is clear – there is no peace for the wicked. No matter how much man tries for peace apart from God he will not find it. God is the source of the only true peace.

Those of us who are saved have that peace available to us. He tells us in His word how to have the peace of God reigning.

But the world doesn’t have that hope. They need the Prince of Peace and we have His message. What are we doing with it? 

No comments: