Monday 16 January 2012

I found no one




So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found no one. 31 Therefore I have poured out My indignation on them; I have consumed them with the fire of My wrath; and I have recompensed their deeds on their own heads,” says the Lord GOD. – Ezekiel 22v30-31

The book of Ezekiel is all about the coming wrath of God and God’s last warnings to the nation about how to avoid that wrath. Poor old Ezekiel was sent in the land to tell them this, even though they were not going to listen. No one could doubt God’s goodness and justice in offering the people an out.

As part of that plan God sought for one amongst them to keep them from destruction. The illustration is of a hedge that keeps sheep enclosed. There is a break in the hedge and on the other side is destruction.

The one day I worked with shepherds my job to stand in the gap and keep the sheep to go where they were not supposed to go. All I had to do was stand there and bang a pot lid to keep them from coming where I was. Many of them wandered my way, but none of them came toward me. I stood in the gap, and no sheep came my way.

God was looking for a man who would stand in the gap and warn the people of the destruction that was coming. God had to send Ezekiel as a prophet of doom because no one would stand in that gap.

No one would sand in the gap – so destruction had already started and would be fulfilled.

I think we have a good illustration here of our role today. God is still seeking people who will stand in the gap and warn people of the wrath to come.

Are we willing to stand in that gap to warn our family and friends of an eternity without God and share the glorious gospel with them? 

No comments: