Saturday 11 February 2012

My heart churns…




My people are bent on backsliding from Me. Though they call to the Most High, None at all exalt Him. “How can I give you up, Ephraim? How can I hand you over, Israel? How can I make you like Admah? How can I set you like Zeboiim? My heart churns within Me; My sympathy is stirred. – Hosea 11v7-8

I know that God is a God of justice. I know that God is a holy and righteousness God. I know that justice sometimes has to manifest itself in wrath against sin. But I am amazed to see the heart of God for His people in their erring ways. Holy righteousness and sin are not compatible. There is a penalty for sin, and it must be paid. But is doesn't make God happy. 

I think here of the times when I have properly disciplined my children. Tragically I have not always done that, but when I have I think of how it grieved me to deal with their sin. There is no joy in meting out penalties for sin. I think of special events or things our children looked forward to that they had to miss because of their sinful actions and it still hurts.

Our heavenly Father knows what that feels like. I read this passage that deals with backsliding Israel and see how God’s heart churns when He has to punish sin. I read how His sympathy was stirred. It makes me think of the time when Jesus stood over Jerusalem and wept because of their sin and lack of direction. It reminds of where God tells the nation through the prophet Ezekiel that He takes no pleasure in the death of those who die. I think of the verse that says that God wants all men to repent and turn to Him because it is not His desire that any should perish.

He hates the destruction on man so much that despite a world turning from Him He sent His Son to die on a cross.

God is, indeed, love. 

No comments: