Thursday 8 March 2012

Looking, waiting, and trusting




Therefore I will look to the LORD; I will wait for the God of my salvation; My God will hear me. - Micah 7v7

Like so many of the prophets Micah found the nation in a mess. Wickedness was rampant. Judgement was perverted. The leaders were crooked and the religious leaders were wicked.

Micah knew well enough that he had no hope in the world around him. It was a disaster. He knew that he had to look elsewhere.

I can sure feel that way sometimes. I have had several things cross my path this week that have been discouraging. It makes the battle heavier. It has not been a battle of full frontal attacks but that very real and damaging battle of attrition. There is not much good to see in all this and not much hope to rely on.

But Micah knew he did have hope and his response is touching my heart today. A lot of stuff is going on right now so I for one definitely need this reminder.

‘Therefore, in the midst of all this trouble and because I have nowhere else to turn, I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; my God will hear me.’

When times get tough we can get stuck in our misery and wallow in hopelessness if we want. The problem is that we get nowhere doing that. It starts a downward spiral that ends up with despair and depression.

But there is a better way. We can refuse to focus on the present, temporary, visible things or we can focus on the eternal and invisible things. We can sorrow over false hope, or can look to the Lord, wait for Him, and wait for Him to answer.

I need Micah’s faith and Micah’s hope to choose the better option. 

No comments: