Monday 12 March 2012

My favourite verse




The LORD is good, A stronghold in the day of trouble; And He knows those who trust in Him. – Nahum 1v7

I don’t necessarily like being tied down to one favourite verse or one ‘life verse’ but when I am put in that situation this is my go to verse. I just love the way so much is packed in there together. The Lord is good. The Lord is a stronghold the day of trouble. The Lord knows those who trust in Him.

This says so much about who our Lord is and how He sees us.

First, the Lord is good. What a simple little statement that means so much. God is good, every day, all the time. His goodness is beyond measure. No matter what I face I can face it in the knowledge that God is indeed good and His goodness will carry me through.

Second, the Lord is my stronghold in the day of trouble. I have a place to run when things get tough. I have a keep to run to for protection when things get bad. The troubles will come, there is no doubt about that. But when they come I have a stronghold I can cling to.

Third, the Lord knows those who trust Him. The psalmist put it perfectly in Psalm 139 when he wrote, 'You have searched me and You know. You know all about me,' When we think non one knows or understands or cares what we are going through we can rest in the perfect assurance that God does know.

God is good. He my stronghold when things get tough. He knows.

What more could we ask for?

No comments: