Sunday 1 April 2012

Showing our faith




Thus says the LORD of hosts: 'Execute true justice, Show mercy and compassion everyone to his brother. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, The alien or the poor. Let none of you plan evil in his heart against his brother.' – Zechariah 7v9-10

In a follow on from yesterday’s though about whether our religion is for us or for God we have a measuring rod presented today. What is the test of our worship and why we do it.

Here is the obedience Zechariah talks about. If you are doing all you do for God here is the evidence. You will act justly. You will show mercy. You will be compassionate toward your brother. You will not oppress the widow or the fatherless, or the alien or the poor. You will not plan evil against your brother.

It is amazing how often the application of truly following God comes down to how we treat others. It reminds me of the verse in James that describes true religion. Sure, it says that we must ‘keep ourselves unspotted from the world,’ but it also says ‘to visit the fatherless and the widows in their affliction.’

I have to ask myself this morning some important questions. Do I act justly toward others? Am I merciful and compassionate? Am I aware of the needs to the fatherless and widows and the strangers and the poor? Do I allow evil thoughts toward others to dwell in my heart?

If I measure my worship by how I go to church and sing and praise it may reflect one thing. How do our lives reflect our worship if we measure them by how we treat others?

No comments: