Thursday 19 July 2012

Blessed Mary


And Mary said: "My soul magnifies the Lord,  And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Saviour. For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy is His name. – Luke 1.46-49

I love Mary’s sweet and submissive spirit. She didn’t just accept this impossible task, she embraced it.

Once she submitted we really get to see her heart and her walk with God. Here we have her ‘Magnificat’ or her song of praise.

My soul magnifies my God
My spirit rejoices in God my Saviour
My God has regarded me in my lowly estate
My descendants will call me blessed
My God is mighty
My God has done great things for me
My God is holy

Wow! What a list of truths for us to remember.

Mary chose these thoughts at what might have been a time of great fear and doubt. Instead of focusing on the impossibilities and the repercussions she chose to focus on her God and who He is.

Here is the balance. Some would tell us that Mary was born into sinless perfection – that she, like her son, was sinless and did not need salvation. Here, however, she says ‘I rejoice in the God of my salvation.’ Mary needed a Saviour just like everyone else who has ever lived.

But what I really like is that when challenged with a task that seemed impossible she chose to draw on what she knew about her God.

May I have the faith to remember who my God is the next time I am faced with what seems like an impossible task. 

No comments: