Tuesday 21 August 2012

And when his father saw him


I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, "Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants." "And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.
And the son said to him, 'Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.' "But the father said to his servants, 'Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.' And they began to be merry.  - Luke 15.18-24

Here is one of the most popular and well known stories of the Bible. ‘Everyone’ knows something about the story of the prodigal son.

The younger of two sons acted like an awful lot of young men. He was impetuous and seemed to think that he knew everything. I have read some reports and heard some doctors say that young men’s physical brains are growing so fast that for a time they literally lose the ability to think rationally. Some say that their capacity for considering long term results of their actions is restricted. I have to say I believe it. That’s why so many young men do such incredibly dumb things.

And yes, I do realise that I was that age once – that’s why I think there is something to this.

Anyhow, the younger son ran off and ‘wasted his substance with riotous living.’ Pretty soon it was all gone and things got so bad that the son ‘would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat.’ (I love the KJV wording there). Then he realised the harshness of the cold, cruel world when ‘No one would give him anything.’

So he decided to swallow his pride and go home. I can’t imagine the anxiety and nerves as he approached – what would Dad say?

‘I am going to go home, admit my sin, and ask Dad to take me back as a servant.’ He had it all rehearsed and he headed home.

But the amazing thing is where we find Dad. Long before he got home his dad saw him, ran to him, put his arms around him, and welcomed him home.

What an amazing picture! This son ran off and broke his dad’s heart, yet when he came home dad still loved him and still welcomed him back.

There are a couple of lessons there. One of course is for parents whose children have chosen the prodigal life. When that happens we still need to love our kids, pray for them, and wait with open arms for them to come home. That’s what parental love is all about.

But then there is the lesson of the parable. We have a loving God who, when we get off the track, loves us and wants us to come back home and, like the son, confess our sins and seek His forgiveness.

He hasn’t closed the door, He hasn’t turned His back. He still waits. What a loving Father we have. 

No comments: