Wednesday 22 August 2012

He is found


It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found.' "  - Luke 15.32

There to too much good in the parable of the lost son to just let it go quickly. I love the father’s attitude while waiting for the son. But there is one other thing I want look at.

We often forget about the older son. I can certainly understand his frustration. Some have critically called him the actual prodigal because of his attitude. If so I have a little bit of prodigal in me because I sure get what he is saying.

The older brother would not go to the welcome home party. He was angry. He stayed home, worked hard, and supported the family while the little brat ran off, wasted his life, and came home with no repercussions.

How is that fair?

But Dad replied – ‘It is a good thing to make merry and be glad. Your brother was dead and is alive again. He was lost and he is found.’

The stay at home brother took his eyes off what was really important. He was more concerned the unfairness of the situation. What mattered to him was that he stayed good and faithful and his brother got rewarded.

I am not sure if the parable is about a lost man or an erring Christian. I have read both views and don’t know what to think.

But the lesson transcends that question. Either way we one who was on the wrong road back on the right road. There is no room for anger who jealousy when that turn-about is celebrated. There is only room to join the party and rejoice. 

No comments: