Monday 17 September 2012

Do what He tells you to do


And when they ran out of wine, the mother of Jesus said to Him, "They have no wine."  Jesus said to her, "Woman, what does your concern have to do with Me? My hour has not yet come." His mother said to the servants, "Whatever He says to you, do it." John 2.3-5

I have always enjoyed the family-ness and normalness of this incident. Jesus and His family were gathered together for a wedding. This was family stuff and family always played a part in Jesus’ life.

It was a typical Jewish wedding. The whole family was there. It was always a great occasion. It was always a great time and people have a great time.

But as the party went on they had a problem. Jesus’ mom came to Him and told Jesus that they were running out of wine. ‘What dies that have to do with me?’ Jesus asked, ‘It is not yet my time.’

So Mary turned to the servants ‘Do whatever Jesus tells you to do.’

Now Jesus, as we know now, starts his miracle ministry my turning the water into wine. We will see the result of that tomorrow.

I just want to make a simple application of Mary’s instruction. ‘Do whatever He says.’

I love that bit of advice. It really summarises what we are supposed to do. Later on Jesus is going to say ‘You are my friends if you do what I command you.’

I’m not going to be too philosophical or theological about this today. I am just going to mention Mary’s words of advice.

Do whatever Jesus tells you to do. 

No comments: