Tuesday 23 October 2012

I am the resurrection and the life


Jesus said to her, "I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?"  - John 11.25-26

Here we have yet another of Jesus’ ‘I am’ statements. The setting is a tragic one. His friend Lazarus is dead and Lazarus’ sister Martha seems a little miffed that Jesus didn’t show up in time to heal Lazarus before he died.

Jesus tried to reassure her – ‘your brother will live again.’

Martha knew her Bible – ‘I know he will rise again at the last day Lord.’

But then Jesus responds with an amazing truth, ‘I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believes in Me, even though He was dead shall live. And anyone who lives and believes in me shall never die.’

He asked Martha if she believed that, and praise God she gave testimony that she did.

I love that promise. One day this old body is going to quit working. Chances are that I am lot closer to that side of life than the other way. That is, of course, unless I live to me 116!

Anyway, it is great comfort to know that even when my body wears out I am going to keep on going. Because I have put my faith in the fact that Jesus is indeed the resurrection and the life. My body will die but Roger is not going to have to face death. Instead I am looking forward to a new, improved version of life.

Praise God that I belong to not only the One who can provide resurrection, but is the Resurrection and the Life Himself!

No comments: