Sunday 21 October 2012

Unpluckable


My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand. – John 10.27-28

I wish I was more of a theologian. I know it is my own fault. I have had plenty of chances to do more theological studies. I have had chances to read and do my own studies. I just can’t get my head around some of the great theological truths.

One of the great theological debates is about whether once we are saved we are saved for good or whether it is something we can lose.

A couple of things here lead me to my point of view. For one thing Jesus says that He gives eternal life. He says those who are His will never perish. Both of those seem to indicate that that the life He gives is eternal. He says those who come to Him will never perish. It is hard for me to see that those who will never perish could possibly perish.

But then Jesus says something that I can’t get past, ‘neither shall anyone snatch them out of my hand. My Father has given them to Me and He is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of His hand.’

No man can pluck us out and Jesus hand and no one can snatch us out of His hand because He is great than all.

Eternal life. Imperishable. Unpluckable. Unsnatchable.

Like I said, I am not much of a theologian, but that sounds pretty secure to me. 

No comments: