Monday 12 November 2012

He lives


"A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me. Because I live, you will live also. – John 14.19

It’s funny how we remember things, isn’t it. I, for some reason, remember my very first favourite Christian song. I don’t know the exact year, but my parents sent me to a Vacation Bible School on Redstone Arsenal near Huntsville, Alabama. It must have been around 1964 judging from the memories I have with what I know now. I don’t teachers or the stories, but I do remember a song we learned. It sticks in my mind even these 40+ years later.

The reason I include this song today is because it clearly and simply states the truths that Jesus spoke about when He said ‘Because I live, you will live.’ The fact that He conquered death and His alive today gives us life, and not only that, gives us a purpose for living.

I am not going to try and elaborate on the words of Alfred Ackley from back in the 1930s in the midst of the Great Depression. I think these words are perfect for today.  

I serve a risen Saviour,
He's in the world today;
I know that He is living,
Whatever men may say;
I see His hand of mercy,
I hear His voice of cheer,
And just the time I need Him
He's always near.

In all the world around me
I see His loving care,
And tho my heart grows weary
I never will despair;
I know that He is leading
Thro' all the stormy blast,
The day of His appearing
Will come at last.

Rejoice, rejoice, O Christian,
Lift up your voice and sing
Eternal hallelujahs
To Jesus Christ the King!
The hope of all who seek Him,
The help of all who find,
None other is so loving,
So good and kind.

He lives, He lives, Christ Jesus lives today!
He walks with me and He talks with me
Along life's narrow way.
He lives, He lives, salvation to impart!
You ask me how I know He lives:
He lives within my heart.

2 comments:

Susan B. :) said...

I have another reason you (and Mary) have been such kindred spirits through the years! "He Lives" is the first song I remember singing (at the top of my voice) after I was saved as a first grader!

Naas Preacher said...

Kind of neat Susan - thanks