Tuesday 4 December 2012

What is truth?


Pilate said to Him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again to the Jews, and said to them, I find no fault in Him at all. - John 18.38

Poor old Pilate. I said the other day that I can almost feel sorry for this guy. He was certainly in a lose-lose situation. He had nothing to do with Jesus. It really wasn’t his matter to deal with. The Jews should have handled this situation themselves. He was exasperated. Try as he might he can’t find any reason to convict Jesus.

Then Jesus says, ‘those who are of the truth hear me.’ You can almost sense Pilate’s attitude as he says ‘What is truth?’ then walks away to go tell the Jews that he can find no wrong in Jesus.

This makes me sad. It seems like Pilate is one of those people who just almost get there. Here he stood face to face with the Truth and asked ‘what is truth?’ He literally couldn’t see truth right before His eyes.

I know that I have been in similar situations before. I try to share the truth with someone and they just don’t get it.  Like Pilate they turn away and go on about their business.

We can’t expect everyone we meet to accept the truth. Pilate stared it right in the face and missed it. How sad it is when we or anyone get that close and still fall short. 

No comments: